There are two candidates for this region.
Shajaira Lopez, Ed. D.
Director of Secondary Language Learning, Highline Public Schools
- Active member of the English Learners Advocacy Council in Higher Education
- (ELACHE) from 2016 to 2018
- Board member of the Illinois TESOL-Bilingual Education (ITBE) from 2016 to 2018
- Board member for the Washington Association of Latino Administrators and
- Superintendents (WALAS) from 2019 to present
Director of Multilingual Services at Puget Sound ESD
- Currently serves as the Director of Multilingual Services at Puget Sound ESD where she leads regional improvement networks, professional development and technical supports for the region’s 35 districts, 7 public charters and 2 tribal compact schools.
- 12 years of experience supporting multilingual students in New Mexico and Washington as a teacher, school administrator, state education policymaker and professional development provider
- Has experience teaching and leading in dual language, charter and traditional public schools
- EL and TESOL endorsed, as well as endorsed in English language arts and Social Studies
- SIOP and GLAD trained
- Bachelor’s in History and Spanish and Master’s in School Administration from Columbia University
- Passionate about creating school environments where all multilingual students thrive and are affirmed in their language, identity and culture
- Brings to WABE a collaborative spirit and ideas around fostering innovative ways to shift mindsets, beliefs and practices around school culture and instruction for multilingual students