Presentation Submission Process
All submitted presentations will be included in our breakout session interest survey that will be reviewed by the past few years of conference attendees. Past participants will indicate the sessions they are most interested in attending. We use this information to help determine the courses for WABE 2019.
We always like to say thank for you presenting by including one complimentary conference registration per breakout session accepted. If you are presenting as a team the discount can be shared 50/50.
WABE provides the following in each breakout room
- Projector and screen
- All presentation teams are required to provide their own laptop.
- Must provide session handouts on the app by April 1.
- Vendor presentations must be partnered with a school district presenter.
- Additional AV requests can be made during the submission process. If the requests result in additional charges, presenters will need to make payment before the items will be ordered.
- Your presentation should be based on a strategy or practice you have used in your classroom, school or district. It should be based on some evidence of success with English learners.
- Open with a “hook”, an activity that will get the attention of the crowd. It doesn’t have to be a joke, but it should be engaging and connect the people to your topic. Often a turn-and-talk about what people already know about the topic is useful, and sets the ground.
- Have some kind of a handout. It doesn’t have to be your whole PowerPoint; just enough to cover your main points and provide a place to take notes.
- State the objectives. Tell people why they are there.
- Give some information, then let people process – talk with their neighbors.
- Give some more information, then have a hands-on activity or some movement. People will remember the information if they have a memorable EXPERIENCE.
- Have a back-up plan. Anything can and often does go wrong, especially with tech you are unfamiliar with. Have your presentation on a flash drive. Have an activity ready (see #5, 6 above). Never let them see you sweat!
- Close with a ticket out or some other way for people to review what they learned.
Please contact Sean Fleming, 206.227.0669